Planning to earn a Merit Badge?
- You must PERSONALLY contact the Merit Badge Counselor associated with that badge. This is your responsibility, your parent is not to make the call for you.
- The Counselor will direct you as to what you have to do for the merit badge as well as the timing of the work. This is all part of learning the badge and developing leadership.
- Badges don’t mean you’ll automatically advance to the next rank. To move up, you must have proven yourself to the adults and junior leader staff that you have provided LEADERSHIP to the Troop and your fellow Scouts. This leadership requirement is part of the national scouting prerequisites for rank advancement.
- Remember: You will need 4 to 6 months of leadership activity for Star Scout and an additional 6 to 8 months for Life Scout, depending on your consistency and Scout Spirit as well as completing the requirements for the rank.
All Scouts MUST be prepared to do the following before seeking a Scoutmaster Conference or Board of Review:
- The advancing Scout must demonstrate Scout Spirit as well as the rank requirements.
- He must have attended as many of the Troop meetings in uniform as he can.
- He must have participated in Troop activities. A Scout seeking advancement early in the year must have shown that in the prior year he has been an active scout.