Summer Camp Merit Badge Policy
If you are going to MERIT BADGE CAMP over the summer, here are the rules: YOU MUST GET YOUR PRE-REQUISITES DONE AND SIGNED OFF ON YOUR BLUE CARDS BEFORE YOU GO TO CAMP!!!
Here’s the process:
- Decide what badges you want to work on. Check the website for your Merit Badge Camp to see what badges they offer and understand the official BSA pre-requisites necessary for the badge. If you’re also coming to our Resica Falls Summer Camp, pick badges that we don’t offer so you can get the most out of your summer camping experience.
- See the Advancement Chairman or MerIt Badge Chairman for your Blue Card. You must obtain your Blue Card with the badge name, signed and dated by one of them BEFORE you go to Merit Badge Camp. You will get a card for each badge you want to work on.
- Do your pre-requisites and have them signed off. If any of the badges require that some work be done before you go to Merit Badge Camp, you MUST do the work and have it SIGNED OFF by your Merit Badge Counselor before you go to Merit Badge Camp. If a badge requires a month-long journal, for example, and you don’t have it done before Merit Badge Camp, you will NOT fulfill that requirement.
- Have fun at Merit Badge Camp. This is not a race to see who gets the most badges! You only need 21 badges to become an Eagle Scout. So have fun and enjoy yourself. Remember that you can get “partials” and finish the work when you get home.
- Hand in your Blue Card when you get back. Get your cards back to the unit leader who issued them. Then all cards will get reviewed by the appropriate Troop 200 Merit Badge Counselor who will check that the work was done. For difficult badges, the Counselor, at his or her discretion, may require proof of the work or re-test the scout to make sure that the knowledge and/or skill has been learned. So it is important to keep ALL the work you do (essays you write, notes you have taken, small projects you have completed, etc.) so you can produce them when asked.
- Special Note: You cannot pursue an Eagle-required badge at Merit Badge Camp unless ALL pre-requisites are completed and signed off by the appropriate Troop200 Merit Badge Counselor before you go to camp. All other Eagle-required badge signoffs done at a Merit Badge Camp will be reviewed and are subject to re-testing by Troop 200 Counselors upon the scout’s presentation of the Blue Card. There will be no exceptions. We need to make sure that every boy has done the hard and serious work required for these particular badges so that the rank is attained with a young man in full possession of all the skills and knowledge expected of an Eagle Scout.